Thursday, June 28, 2012

New and Improved Listening Centers

The first few years that I taught 1st grade I had a CD player to use as a listening center. To help increase my listening library I took advantage of Scholastic bonus point and coupons. Each month I bought the four books that came with CDs. After a couple years I got increasingly more and more frustrated with the hassle of CDs that are scratched and the space that my listening center took up. I decided it was time for a change. I now use iPod shuffles for my listening centers and could not be happier! I took each CD and "ripped" them to my iTunes account. I sorted all of my books by month and created a playlist for each month in iTunes. Now all I have to do is check the box next to the playlist for which month I want and sync my iPod. The kids then pick a book and hit the next arrow until they hear he title they are searching for. I have approximately six books for each month. To make it possible for more than one student to listen at a time I purchased some Belkin Rockstars for multiple headphones (also great for the iPad).

PS. I tried other models of MP3 players and was not happy with the quality and how complicated they were to use. For little kids the shuffle is easy and affordable.



iPod Shuffles

Belkin Rockstar


No comments:

Post a Comment